inalienable possession and core arguments

Kilu von Prince prince at ZAS.GWZ-BERLIN.DE
Fri May 30 06:51:20 UTC 2014

Dear Sergey,

Partee and Borschev 2003 are probably the first to speak of "transitive
nouns", as does Barker 2011 and as do I in a proceedings paper to be
downloaded here:
http://westernlinguistics.ca/afla/proceedings/afla18/papers/von_prince.pdf

However, as I have argued in a recent talk (see attachment), valency or
transitivity is a lexical property of nouns while the alienability
distinction is in part independent from the lexical properties of the
possessed noun since one and the same (intransitive) noun can occur both in
structures expressing alienable and inalienable possession in languages
that mark this difference productively. If you could send a draft outlining
your point about Akkadian, I would be very interested to see that.

Best,
Kilu

--
Kilu von Prince
Zentrum für Allgemeine Sprachwissenschaft (Center for General Linguistics)
Email: prince at zas.gwz-berlin.de