[Lingtyp] query: vocal fry, creaky voice and phrase-final phonology

Mark Donohue mark at donohue.cc
Fri Oct 17 12:47:10 UTC 2014

In Tukang Besi, an Austronesian language of central Indonesia, there's a
speech genre used for telling scary stories to children that involves
creaking pretty much all the way through; this necessitates frequent
pauses, as you run out of breath.

This interacts with the segmental system:

glottal stops are phonemic in Tukang Besi;
in this CV languages they cannot be realised in an onset, but are
resyllabified as codas;
but codas are dispreferred, consequently they are frequently realised as
creakiness on the preceding vowel.

Now, obviously, in scary-story genre you then lose the contrast between
V<glottal stop>V, and VV, since everything is creaky.

Related to this, children have a hard time acquiring glottal stops, and are
reported to use them less consistently than adults, adding non-etymological
glottal stops in, reducing the contrast between (for instance) ba<glottal>e
and bad ('fruit' and 'rice').

-Mark

(for those wondering: yes, there are phonemic word-initial glottal stops)