what to make of the Spanish IRSE?

Haag, Marcia L. haag at OU.EDU
Mon Sep 15 21:34:21 UTC 2014

For me, it's kinda like English 'up and leave', which has a more colloquial and stronger sense than 'go' or 'leave.'

'He left' vs 'He up and left.'

The Spanish reflexive gives the sense of willfulness or deliberateness, and counts among the uses of middle voice rather than pure reflexive.

Marcia Haag
Associate Professor of Linguistics
President's Associates Presidential Professor