[Lingtyp] question about sound alternation/change

HENNING ANDERSEN andersen at ucla.edu
Sat Apr 4 17:10:44 UTC 2015

Dear all,

In internal reconstruction, it seems the interpretation of a č --> t
alternation needs to consider that (i) the alternation may be the result of
more than one sound change; if of one, (ii) č > t may be unconditioned,
(iii) t > č is likely conditioned, and (iv) there may be rule inversion
(Vennemann, Lingua 1973) somewhere along the way.

Some things are not as straightforward as they look.