[Lingtyp] query: 'give' and 'do'/'make'

David Gil gil at eva.mpg.de
Wed Feb 18 04:11:21 UTC 2015

Thanks to Suzanne Kemmer and Foong Ha Yap for pointing out the
'give'-causative connection.  Not exactly 'give'-'make' identity, but
since 'make' also often grammaticalizes as a causative, the two words
can often end up in "the same place", as it were.  In fact, this can
even happen within the same language, as in eastern dialects of Malay,
where 'kasi' ("give") and 'bikin' ("do"/"make") are both used to form
periphrastic causatives — see for example the recent PhD dissertation by
Betty Littamahuputty on Ternate Malay.

Thanks also to Ludwig Paul for providing the first robust case of
'give'-'do'/'make' identity from a contemporary language from outside
the Mekong-Mamberamo (Southeast Asia to New Guinea) region, namely East
Iranian Pashto.

Which brings me to a little puzzle, namely that a high proportion of
examples that have been offered so far for 'give'-'do'/'make' identity
come from extinct literary languages:  Classical Chinese, Old and Middle
Persian, and Early Middle English — I wonder whether this is a coincidence.

Email: gil at eva.mpg.de
Webpage:  http://www.eva.mpg.de/~gil/