[Lingtyp] FW: CIDLeS Workshop: Documentation and Analysis of Multimodal Data (DAMD 2014)

Tasaku Tsunoda tsunoda at ninjal.ac.jp
Fri Jan 9 02:42:30 UTC 2015

From:  Vera Ferreira <vferreira at cidles.eu>
Date:  2015年1月9日金曜日 6:18
To:  <Verborgene_Empfaenger:;>
Subject:  CIDLeS Workshop: Documentation and Analysis of Multimodal Data
(DAMD 2014)

Please pass on to interested parties.

Workshop  “Documentation and Analysis of Multimodal Data” (DAMD 2015)

CIDLeS invites students and researchers in linguistics and related fields to
participate in the workshop on “Documentation and Analysis of Multimodal
Data”. The workshop will take place from Friday, April 24 to Saturday, April
25 2015 in Alcanena (Portugal).

Workshop leader: Dr Mandana Seyfeddinipur, Endangered Languages
Documentation Programme, SOAS

Deadline for registration: March 31, 2015

Date and venue

April 24 – 25, 2015 | Hotel Eurosol, Alcanena (Portugal)

Website: http://www.cidles.eu/events/workshop/
<http://www.cidles.eu/events/workshop/>

About the Workshop

Language  use is fundamentally multimodal. When we speak point to places, we
nod to signal our understanding and we outline our thought with our hands.
Moreover, we coordinate our actions with our conversational partners. The
way we talk, the words we use, the information we include depends on the
common ground we share with our interlocutors and different social and
contextual dimensions. This complexity of language use is best captured with
video. Language documentation projects as well as any linguistic research
project investigating dimensions of conversational language use should
record video. However, video training is often limited to the technicalities
of how to use a video camera and microphones but does not provide a
theoretical framework for the features of language use. What is missing is
an understanding of the social, linguistic and cognitive foundation of
language use so that it becomes clear what needs to be captured how.

In this workshop we will address these topics and participants will learn
about the theoretical foundation of language use as a joint activity.
Focusing on manual gesture, participants will learn how gesture data play an
important role in understanding the fundamentally multimodal nature of
language use. In the second part we will provide detailed guidelines of how
to video record and this will be trained with hands on practice.
Participants will collect natural language use data of different types and
learn how to use video equipment. In the third part of the workshop the
recordings will be reviewed and discussed and guidelines for improvements
will be given. In a fourth part participants will be introduced to how to
use ELAN for gesture annotation and analysis.

The number of participants is limited to 30.

Fee & Registration

The workshop costs 260 Euro. The fee includes accommodation in shared rooms
(2 people) at Hotel Eurosol (Alcanena, Portugal) from April 23 to April 26,
breakfast, lunches and coffee breaks during the workshop and workshop
materials. Individual rooms are also available by payment of an extra charge
(45€).

The deadline for registration and fee payment is March 31!

Registration:  http://www.cidles.eu/events/workshop/registration/
<http://www.cidles.eu/events/workshop/registration/>
 For more information, please contact info at cidles.eu <mailto:info at cidles.eu>

--
Vera Ferreira
Centro Interdisciplinar de Documentação Linguística e Social /

Tel.: +351249849123
Email: vferreira at cidles.eu
Web: http://www.cidles.eu