[Lingtyp] Ergatives from datives?

David Gil gil at eva.mpg.de
Sun Jan 18 05:36:31 UTC 2015

Ilja,

In some varieties of colloquial Malay/Indonesian, the form /sama/
provides an example of what you're looking for.  Its basic meaning is
"same" / "together"  (it is probably a loan from an Indo-Aryan language
and hence cognate with English /same/.)  But in some varieties, eg. Riau
Indonesian, its use generalizes to, among others, datives (e.g. the goal
of 'give'), and (optional) marker of the A ("transitive subject") role,
which fits the definition of an ergative (though it's usually not
referred to as such).  You can find more details on this in:

Gil, David (2004) "Riau Indonesian /sama/, Explorations in
Macrofunctionality", in M. Haspelmath ed., /Coordinating Constructions/,
Typological Studies in Language 58, John Benjamins, Amsterdam, 371-424.

Best,

David

--
David Gil

Department of Linguistics
Deutscher Platz 6, D-04103 Leipzig, Germany

Telephone: 49-341-3550321 Fax: 49-341-3550333
Email: gil at eva.mpg.de
Webpage:  http://www.eva.mpg.de/~gil/