[Lingtyp] Technology standards in conflict with linguistic standards

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at eva.mpg.de
Mon Jul 6 10:38:08 UTC 2015

On 04.07.15 08:37, Kilu von Prince wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I agree that acceptance of articles in LaTeX format should be more
> widespread than it is at the moment. I may add that the style guides
> of many linguistics journals could be significantly improved if they
> incorporated more of the established best-practices in typesetting
> that are automatically implemented by default LaTeX styles.

Moreover, it would be better if linguistics journals agreed on a single
style guide, see
http://www.frank-m-richter.de/freescienceblog/2015/03/18/how-to-make-linguistics-publication-more-efficient-use-discipline-wide-style-rules/

These issues should ideally be discussed by a committee of linguistics
editors, such as the LSA's CeLxJ (http://celxj.org/).

There will be a meeting of European linguistics editors just before the
next SLE meeting in Leiden (see http://sle2015.eu/programme,
"pre-conference mini-workshop"), which will primarily discuss other
issues, but where we may decide to found such a committee of the SLE.

Regards,
Martin