[Lingtyp] coordination and predicate negation

David Gil gil at eva.mpg.de
Sat Jun 6 15:58:36 UTC 2015

Hebrew and Indonesian are two languages which have constructions of the
form NEG V OR V, ie. like the ungrammatical Russian (2), without the
auxiliary.

On 06/06/2015 20:33, Alexander Letuchiy wrote:
> Dear Matthew,
>
> Thanks!
>
> Sure, I also consider that the reason for English is the presence of
> the auxiliary.
> However, what I want is to try to think of it a bit broader: is it
> true that an English-like situation is never observed in languages
> without an auxiliary? If yes, what does it tell us of the negation
> syntax? If no, what is the difference between Russian and some other
> languages where negation can be expressed once?

> From: m.baerman at surrey.ac.uk
> To: alexander_letuchiy at hotmail.com
> Subject: FW: [Lingtyp] coordination and predicate negation
> Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2015 13:18:07 +0000
>
> Hi Sasha
>
> I’m no syntactician, so forgive me for stating the obvious, but I
> would imagine that the explanation for the English state of affairs is
> the auxiliary, which hosts the negation. Since auxiliaries in English
> can have multiple complements, you can get away with one auxiliary,
> hence one negation.
>
> best
>
> Matthew

David Gil

Department of Linguistics
Deutscher Platz 6, D-04103 Leipzig, Germany

Telephone: 49-341-3550321 Fax: 49-341-3550333
Email: gil at eva.mpg.de
Webpage:  http://www.eva.mpg.de/~gil/