[Lingtyp] Reportatives in interrogative and imperative sentences

Alexandra Aikhenvald a.y.aikhenvald at live.com
Thu May 7 11:11:10 UTC 2015

Dear Martine

This issue has been extensively addressed in Chapter 8 of my book Evidentiality (OUP, 2004), 8.1.1, Evidentials in questions, and 8.1.2 Evidentiality in commands. If you don't have this book I could send these  chapters  to you. Then,. the issue of evidentials in commands and questions was addressed in The  grammar of knowledge, OUP, 2014, ed Aikhenvald and Dixon (there are new examples of languages with ample discussion - including languages such as Kurtöp, Ersu, Saaroa, Tatar, Kalmyk...)- I am sure your library has this book.

Evidentials in Amazonia have been extensively addressed in Chapter 9 of my Languages of the Amazon (OUP, 2012, paperback 2015) - you probably have this book already.

We have recently  put together a little web-site on Evidentiality, with a number of publications etc on evidentiality. The link is:
http://research.jcu.edu.au/lcrc/Research%20Projects/evidentiality This is partly a resource for the contributors to The Oxford Handbook of Evidentiality; however, it contains reference and a bibliography on this topic, so will hopefully be useful to many people. This also contains materials on evidentials in commands and in questions. The Oxford Handbook of evidentiality will - of course -address this issue in some depth.  Further data on evidentials in commands and questions are in my forthcoming paper 'Evidentials and their links with categories' will be coming out in Linguistic Typology this year. (This is based on a paper given at the workshop you organized last year). I will send you an offprint when it is out. So the issue is really well researched, and there is a lot of accessible information.  Hope this is helpful. Best wishes Sasha

Alexandra Y. Aikhenvald,
PhD, DLitt, FAHA

Distinguished Professor
and Australian Laureate Fellow