[Lingtyp] Reportatives in interrogative and imperative sentences

Kasper Boye boye at hum.ku.dk
Thu May 7 11:57:15 UTC 2015

Dear Martine,

In order to answer your questions, I believe it is important to distinguish reportatives (evidential markers of the information source of a proposition) from quotatives (marking a passage as something someone else has said) (although some expressions may have both reportative and quotative function), and to distinguish genuine imperatives from other means of expressing commands (e.g. declaratives plus deontic modals).

In my book Epistemic meaning: A crosslinguistic and functional-cognitive study (De Gruyter, 2012), I base my discussion of the issue you raise on such distinctions (see p. 32 on quotatives), and argue (pp. 199-206; in continuation of Aikhenvald 2004) that true, unequivocal reportatives are not found with true imperatives (unless the reportatives have constituent scope only). In contrast, quotatives may be found with imperatives. I also propose an account of this which is based on scope properties and layered semantic structure (notably, the distinction between speech acts, propositions and states-of-affairs).

A more brief discussion of the issue is found in: Boye, Kasper. 2010. "Evidence for what? Evidentiality and scope". Björn Wiemer & Katerina Stathi (eds.). Database on evidentiality markers in European languages. Sprachtypologie und Universalienforschung 63.4. 290-307.

Best wishes,

Kasper