[Lingtyp] Announcement: Himalayan Linguistics Special Issue on Tibetan NLP

Kristine Hildebrandt khildeb at siue.edu
Tue Aug 2 13:25:28 UTC 2016

Greetings and apologies in advance for cross- or multiple postings,

The current special issue of *Himalayan Linguistics
<https://escholarship.org/uc/himalayanlinguistics> *(15.1)*, *the first of
its kind since *HL* moved to the University of California e-Scholarship
platform, is devoted to Tibetan Natural Language Processing (NLP), and
emerges from an AHRC (United Kingdom)-funded research project, “Tibetan in
Digital Communication.” The introduction, co-authored by the special issue
co-editors (Nathan Hill and Di Jiang), offers a brief general
contextualization of Natural Language Processing, its components and its
achievements, and a history of Tibetan NLP, including research in and
outside of China.

There are eleven contributions to this special issue, which, as the
co-editors note, “brings together contributions devoted to a suite of
topics in Tibetan NLP by scholars from China, Europe, and North America.”
It is our hope that this issue will provide a good overview of the
diversity of Tibetan NLP research taking place today, and will make the
methods and results of this research accessible to scholars from around the
world.

This issue was a significant achievement for both the special issue
co-editors and for the *HL* editorial board. I would like to thank the
co-editors and the authors for putting together such a unique and important
collection as this, and I would like to personally thank You-Jing Lin, the
Assistant Editor of *Himalayan Linguistics*, for her work preparing this
issue for publication, with a special thank-you to Dibella Caminsky (UC
Santa Barbara Department of Linguistics) for her assistance with
copy-editing and proofs preparation.
--
Orche
('Thanks' in Manange)

*Kristine A. Hildebrandt*
*Associate Professor, Department of English Language & Literature
<http://www.siue.edu/artsandsciences/english/>*

*Secretary, Association for Linguistic Typology
<http://www.linguistic-typology.org/>*
*Editor, Himalayan Linguistics
<http://escholarship.org/uc/himalayanlinguistics>*
Check out our Manang Languages <https://mananglanguages.isg.siue.edu/> project
page!
*Southern Illinois University Edwardsville*

*Box 1431Edwardsville, IL 62026 U.S.A.618-650-3991 (department voicemail)*

*khildeb at siue.edu <khildeb at siue.edu>http://www.siue.edu/~khildeb
<http://www.siue.edu/~khildeb>*