[Lingtyp] agent nominalization

giorgio.arcodia at unimib.it giorgio.arcodia at unimib.it
Wed Jan 6 14:58:24 UTC 2016

As a follow-up to professor Simone's message, I may add
that the augmentative suffix -one is also used as an agent
nominaliser:

mangiare 'to eat' > mangione 'hearty eater'
scroccare 'to scrounge' > scroccone 'scrounger, moocher'
bere 'to drink' > beone 'boozer'

The augmentative meaning is reflected in the fact that all
of the above mean not only that an agent does something,
but that it does so excessively. You find the same also in
Spanish, Portuguese and Modern Greek. Incidentally, this
use of an augmentative suffix has been claimed to be a
feature of the languages of the Mediterranean (see N.
Grandi, Development and Spread of Augmentative Suffixes in
the Mediterranean Area, in P. Ramat / T. Stolz (eds.),
Mediterranean Languages, Bochum, Dr. Brockmeyer University
Press, 171-190).
The Romance forms come from Latin -(i)o (long 'o'). You
can read the history of its grammaticalisation in the
above mentioned paper.

Best,

Giorgio F. A.

--
Dr. Giorgio Francesco Arcodia
Università degli Studi di Milano-Bicocca

Tel.: (+39) 02 6448 4946
Fax: (+39) 02 6448 4863
E-mail: giorgio.arcodia at unimib.it