[Lingtyp] agent nominalization

Volker Gast volker.gast at uni-jena.de
Wed Jan 6 15:45:40 UTC 2016

Hi Eitan,
I have a handout on (agentive) verb-noun compounds in (contemporary as
well as ancient) European languages, e.g. Engl. 'cutthroat', Span.
'matasanos' ('doctor/quack'), etc. (the talk was given in 2009 at the
University of Erfurt):

http://www.personal.uni-jena.de/~mu65qev/hopdf/vn-erfurt.pdf

In Section 3 there's some speculation about historical developments. In
Ancient Greek, the pattern may have resulted from the reanalysis of
AN-compounds, e.g. ortho(A)-krair(N) '(cattle with) straight
extremities/horns' --> ortho(V)-krair(N)- 'stretch-extremities/horns,
horn-stretcher'.

Ancient Greek apparently allowed both orders, VN and NV:
anthro:po-phag-os / phag-anthro:p-os 'man-eater, cannibal' (cf. also
phil-o-soph-os etc. for the VN-pattern). Latin and Old English prefered
NV-order: e.g. agr-i-col-a 'field-cultivate/farmer', arm-i-ger
'weapon-carrier'; OE mere-far-a 'sea-traveller', loc-bor-e 'curl-bearer'
(the status of the final vowel is disputed). VN-compounds were
originally used with a negative connotation, which they still have today
when used for human referents, even in Romance languages, as far as I
can tell (cf. mata-sanos). Most English examples denote animals or
plants, and many of them have dropped out of use, being replaced by
synthetic compounds (e.g. break-bones --> bone-break-er [a bird
species]). The first attested example from OE is clawe-cunte
'grab-vulva', according to the literature. The VN-pattern seems to be
widespread in Slavic languages as well.

All the best,
Volker

Prof. Volker Gast