[Lingtyp] agent nominalization

Alex Francois francois at vjf.cnrs.fr
Fri Jan 8 19:03:31 UTC 2016

dear Eitan,

In *Mwotlap*, an Oceanic language of northern Vanuatu, deverbal
nominalisation normally takes the form of reduplication.

1) *Event nominalisation*
Reduplication, for example, is what creates an "action noun" (*nomen
actionis*, referring to the event or State of affairs):

   - *mat*   'die'  =>   stem for deverbal noun *matmat*
   --> citation form for this noun *na-matmat *'death'

(Note:  Because the output stem is a noun, it  takes the article prefix
*nV-* which forms part of a noun's citation form.  Yet importantly, this
article *nV- *is not what carries out the derivation V>N, which is only
done by reduplication.  *Matmat* behaves morphologically like any other
noun stem.)

   - *dēm*   'think'  =>   stem for deverbal noun
*dēmdēm  *--> citation form for this noun *nē-dēmdēm  *'thought, idea, mind'

If the verb is transitive and its patient is semantically relevant to the
meaning of the deverbal noun, then the patient noun is encoded as an N2
modifier to the deverbal N1 noun.

(a modifying noun takes the form of a bare noun, deprived of its article,
following the head noun — hence:  <*nV*- N1  N2>):

   - *galeg n-ēm̄*   'make a house'
--> *na-gagaleg ēm̄    *'the building of a house;   house construction'

   - *wēl na-lqōvēn*   'buy a woman'
--> *nē-wēlwēl lōqōvēn    *'the purchase of a woman = marriage'

In these cases, the end result is both a case of derivation (through
reduplication) and of compounding (cf. the <N1 N2> structure).

2) *Agent nominalisation*
(*nomen actoris*, referring to the agent of an action)

a) *simple nominalisation*
One strategy for deriving actor nouns involves the same pattern as for
action nouns. Predictably, this sometimes results in nouns that are
polysemous between *nomen actionis* and *nomen actoris*:

   - *vatgo*   'teach'
=> na-*vatvatgo*    (1) '(art of) teaching, instruction'
                                  (2) 'teacher'

   - *tow n-eh*   'compose a song'
=> no-*towtow    eh*

*     <ART-NMLZR~compose   song>  *(1) 'song composition;  poetry';    (2)
   'song composer;  poet'

   - *tēy nē-bē*   'hold water'
=> nē-*tēytēy   bē*
     <ART-NMLZR~hold  water>
   (1) '(the art of) medicine';    (2) 'doctor'

   - *tan̄ n-et*   lit. 'touch a person'  -> 'massage'
=> na-*tan̄tan̄   et*

*      <ART-NMLZR~touch  person>  *(1) '(the art of) massage'; 'midwifery';
    (2) 'masseuse; midwife'

b) *periphrastic nominalisation*
Another common strategy in producing *nomen actoris* is to use a head noun
*n-et* meaning 'person' followed by a *nomen actionis*:

{ *n-et*  (*N1 N2*) }
{ *ART*  person  (*N1 N2*) }

   - *vēgēl*   'bewitch'
=> *n-et     vēgēpgēl*
      <ART-person   NMLZR~bewitch>
     'sorcerer'    [liter. 'person of bewitching']

   - *tēy *nē-*tēnge*   'hold leaves'
=> *n-et      tēytēy      tēnge*
     <ART-person  NMLZR~hold  leaf>
    'healer'

Syntactically, the latter construction has 3 nouns in a modifying
relationship  { N0 (N1 N2) }
'healer'  is literally  '(the) person of (the) holding of (the) leaves'

The same syntactic structure underlies nouns of instrument  (where N0 is
simply 'thing' instead of 'person'):

   - *lep *no-*totgal*   'take a picture'
=> *n-age   leplep      totgal*
     <ART-thing  NMLZR~take  picture>
      'camera'

Note that this structure is distinct from relative clauses or other forms
of subordination.  It is a case of phrasal compounding —  lexical compounds
larger than a phonological word.

The noun *n-et* is synchronically productive, being the hyperonym for human
referents. It is also used for equivalents of our indefinite pronouns (e.g.
'someone', 'nobody'…), or in relative clauses ('the *one* who'…,
'whoever'...), etc.  I guess you could say that in Mwotlap, agent
nominalisation has a noun 'person' as its "historical origin" – but this is
in fact still the case in synchrony, with no particular trace of
 morphologisation or phonological erosion.

​c) *periphrasis with preposition*
Finally, the most productive strategy is also syntactically the most
elaborate.
As in (b) above, it involves a head noun (N0) modified by a *nomen actionis*;
 except this time, the syntactic relation between N0 and (N1 N2) is encoded
by a preposition *bV-*, which can often be glossed "for".  Thus the
structure is
{ *n-et*    *bV-* (*N1 N2*) }
{ *ART*  person *for*  (*N1 N2*) }

   - *lak*   'dance'
=> *n-et       ba-laklak*
    <ART-person   for-NMLZR~dance>
    'dancer'
   - *lam̄ *nē-*vētōy*   'beat the drum'
=> *n-et       ba-lam̄lam̄   vētōy*
    <ART-person   for-NMLZR~beat  drum>
    'drummer'

*N-et* 'person' is only singular;  other numbers involve suppletion with a
small paradigm of morphemes labelled Human Collectives  (dual *yoge*, trial
*tēlge*, plural* ige*):

   - *lam̄ *nē-*vētōy*   'beat the drum'
=> *yoge   ba-lam̄lam̄   vētōy*
    <HUM:dual   for-NMLZR~beat  drum>
    'the two drummers'

   - => *ige    ba-lam̄lam̄   vētōy*
    <HUM:pl   for-NMLZR~beat  drum>
    '(the) drummers'

Note that the structure with preposition has parallels with genuine
(non-derived) nouns:

   - n-*ih*   'a bow'
=   *n-et        b*-*ih*

*   <ART-person   for-bow>  *   'archer'
   - nu-*skul*   'school'
=   *ige     bu*-*skul*

*   <HUM:pl   for-school>  *   'schoolers'

Finally, my Mwotlap corpus sometimes shows alternation between two possible
structures for creating agent nouns (with semantic nuances I won't detail
here):

   - *wos*   'to nail'
=> *n-et        woswos*

*    <ART-person   NMLZR~nail>  *   'builder, handyman, DIYer'  (a habitual
   property)

   =   *n-et        bo*-*woswos*

*   <ART-person   for-NMLZR~nail>  *   'the builder' (of a particular house)

   - *tow n-eh*   'compose a song'
=> *no-**towtow   eh*

*     <ART-NMLZR~compose   song>  *  (1) 'song composition;  poetry';
     (2) 'a song composer;  a poet'

    => *n-et       bo*-*towtow        eh*

*   <ART-person   for-NMLZR~compose   song>  *   'the composer (of a
   particular song)'

The latter contrast is reminiscent of the one that Benveniste reconstructed
for Proto Indo-European, in his 1948 study of nominal derivation in PIE  (cf.
1974 [1967]:155):

   - *dH3-*tér*-
   (>Gr. δοτήρ)   ‘a giver [a habitual property]’
   - *déH3-*tor*-
   (>Gr. δώτωρ)  ‘the giver [in a particular situation]’

Reference:

   - Benveniste, Emile. 1948. *Noms d'agent et noms d'action en
      indo-européen*. Paris: Librairie d'Amérique et d'Orient.
      - —— 1974 [1967]. Fondements syntaxiques de la composition nominale.
      In *Problèmes de Linguistique Générale*, vol.2. Collection Tel.
      Paris: Gallimard, 145–162.

For Mwotlap, you can find more examples and explanations in my thesis:

   - François, Alexandre. 2001. *Contraintes de structures et liberté dans
   l'organisation du discours: Une description du mwotlap, langue océanienne
   du Vanuatu*. Doctoral thesis in Linguistics. Paris: Université Paris-IV
   Sorbonne.  [open access
   <http://alex.francois.free.fr/AFpub_books_e.htm#02>]
   => see pp.*227-236*, and also 181-183.

with best wishes,