[Lingtyp] Structural congruence as a dimension of language complexity/simplicity

Paul Hopper hopper at cmu.edu
Sun Jan 17 01:00:33 UTC 2016

The speakers clearly need to have their parameters re-set.

> I don’t know how they account for the kinds
> of exceptions to the general rule of directionality that most grammars of
> natural languages exhibit. Perhaps someone else can help.>

BTW, for en early statement (pre-P&P) of this idea, see Emmon Bach,  1965.
 On Some Recurrent Types of Transformations.  Georgetown University:
Monograph Series on Languages and
Linguistics 18, 3-18.

Paul Hopper

> Hi Alan,
>
> I don’t know how useful you will find an excursus into generative
> linguistics<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generative_linguistics> but
> generativists have something called the Principles and parameters
> framework which corresponds in most respects to the head-directionality
> principle described by Nichols and which (following generative logic) has
> profound implications for the simplicity aka learnability of a language.
>
> Within the PP framework, the syntax<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syntax>
> of a language<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_language> is described
> in terms of general principles (or abstract rules) and specific parameters
> (i.e. markers or switches) that for particular languages can be either
> turned on or turned off. The position of
> heads<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_(linguistics)> in phrases is
> determined by such a parameter. The notion of such a ‘switch’ makes sense
> to me as in learning Turkish or Japanese (or Mekeo), I found I only had to
> cope with the novelty of head-final word order once; after that the
> general ordering principle becomes quite natural and expected.
>
> The Principles and Parameters framework, qua research program, has set out
> to explain the gap between linguistic knowledge and linguistic competency.
> I.e., given the finite, corrupt or incomplete
> input<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty_of_the_stimulus> children have
> access to, how do they so rapidly arrive at a (fairly) accurate and
> complete grammatical competence. Principles and parameters are here held
> to be part of universal
> grammar<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_grammar> (UG) and are thus
> ‘innate’ – at least as potential. Hence they do not need to be learned by
> exposure to any given natural language. Exposure triggers the appropriate
> parameters, causing the brain to adopt certain ‘settings’, e.g., it might
> be set to expect and produce either head-final or dependent final
> structures across the board. I don’t know how they account for the kinds
> of exceptions to the general rule of directionality that most grammars of
> natural languages exhibit. Perhaps someone else can help.
>
> Alan
>

> Alan Jones, PhD,
>
> Adjunct Professor,
>
> Macquarie University,
>
> Sydney
>

> ________________________________

Paul J. Hopper,
Paul Mellon Distinguished Professor Emeritus of Humanities
Department of English,
Dietrich College of Humanities and Social Sciences,
Carnegie Mellon University,
Pittsburgh, PA 15213,

Adjunct Professor of Linguistics,
University of Pittsburgh