[Lingtyp] Response to Rijkhoff and LaPolla

Matthew Dryer dryer at buffalo.edu
Fri Jan 22 03:24:18 UTC 2016

I want to return to near the beginning of the recent discussion, when
both Jan Rijkhoff and Randy LaPolla raised issues in response to my
drawing attention to the fact that Greenberg’s claim that verb-initial
languages tend to place the adjective after the noun is misleading
(since they do so to the same extent as verb-final languages).

There are two assumptions that Jan and Randy seemed to make that I think
are at the heart of the discussion. The first assumption may not in fact
be one that either Jan or Randy made, though it would not be an
unreasonable assumption to make, given my published work.

The first apparent assumption is that in collecting data on the order of
adjective and noun, what I did was to collect this data without paying
attention to the grammatical properties of these “adjectives” (what I
prefer to call semantic adjectives, though the label is not ideal),
particularly the extent to which they behave like verbs and the extent
to which they behave like nouns. The second assumption is that the word
order behaviour of semantic adjectives varies considerably depending on
these other properties. Both of these assumptions are false.

With respect to the first assumption, I have spent considerably more
time over the years examining the grammatical properties of semantic
adjectives than I have examining the order of adjective and noun,
primarily the extent to which they behave like verbs or nouns.I have
definitely not ignored these differences. My reason for spending so much
time on this is precisely because I was curious whether there were
differences in word order patterns varying with the extent to which
semantic adjectives exhibit verbal or nominal properties. The overall
conclusion from this is: very little.The word order patterns of semantic
adjectives are very similar, regardless of whether they are verbal,
nominal, or neither. Let me discuss briefly two examples of contrary
claims in the literature.

In the paper of his that Randy provided a link to, he cites Van Valin
(1986) and Lehmann (1986) as providing evidence that ‘adjectives which
are highly nominal in nature precede the noun they modify in OV
languages, while those which are highly verbal in nature follow the noun
they modify’. However, on the basis of a sample of approximately 300
languages in which the semantic adjectives exhibit nominal features, it
turns out that this is not true. In my data, adjectives which are
nominal in nature more often follow the noun, like adjectives which are
verbal in nature. There is one area of the world where we do find a lot
of OV languages that are AdjN and in which the adjectives are often
nominal, and that is Eurasia excluding Sino-Tibetan and other families
of southeast Asia. I suspect that Van Valin’s and Lehmann’s conclusions
were influenced by this pattern, which I suspect is simply a reflection
of two accidentally coinciding common traits throughout this area of
Eurasia, namely OV&AdjN order and a tendency for semantic adjectives to
be nominal in nature. It is true that the preference for NAdj order is
higher in my data among languages in which the semantic adjectives are
verbal, though the difference falls short of statistical significance.
It is possible that this difference is real and if so has a ready
explanation: relative clauses show a strong tendency to follow nouns
among all languages and getting a higher proportion of NAdj order among
languages in which semantic adjectives are verbal is hardly surprising.
But the difference is much less than the quote from LaPolla would suggest.

The second case involves the position of semantic adjectives relative to
the numeral and noun when both occur on the same side of the noun. The
usual pattern is for the adjective to occur between the numeral and the
noun, in either Num-Adj-Noun or Noun-Adj-Num order. Rijkhoff (2008: 804)
claims that exceptions to this, namely Adj-Num-Noun or Noun-Num-Adj,
must involve distinct syntactic constructions, such as ones where the
adjective is verbal and a type of relative clause. However, in an
almost-completed paper of mine reporting the order of demonstrative,
numeral, adjective and noun in a sample of over 500 languages, I find
little evidence to support this claim of Rijkhoff’s. There are a very
small number of cases where his line of explanation is plausible but
they are clearly the exceptions. Let me present two kinds of evidence
from my paper bearing on this. The data in the following table
distinguishes semantic adjectives with verbal properties from semantic
adjectives lacking verbal properties, restricting attention to languages
where the adjective and numeral occur on the same side of the noun. The
numbers are numbers of genera rather than numbers of languages:

Adj closer to noun

than Num

Num closer to noun

than Adj

Percent

closer

Adj is verb

30

4

.88

Adj is not verb

106

12

.90

As the table shows, semantic adjectives which are verbs show the same
strong tendency to occur closer to the noun than the numeral that we
find with semantic adjectives which are not verbal. And the majority of
cases where the adjective is further from the noun are ones where the
adjective is nonverbal. In other words, the verbal nature of some
semantic adjectives has little effect on their position relative to the
numeral and noun.

Let me share one example from my paper that illustrates that it is only
semantics which is relevant, not the particular morphosyntactic
properties of semantic adjectives.The following examples come from Nias
(Lea Brown, p.c.). Semantic adjectives in Nias are verbal and when used
attributively occur in relative clauses. Adnominal numerals also occur
in relative clauses. What the data in (1) shows is that the relative
clause containing the semantic adjective must occur closer to the noun
than the relative clause containing the numeral. The opposite order,
shown in (1b), is judged ungrammatical.

1.

a.

No

u-bunu

n-asu

s=afusi

si=dua

rozi.

past

1sg-kill

abs-dog

rel=white

rel=two

clsfr

Adj

Num

‘I killed the two white dogs.’

b.

*No

u-bunu

n-asu

si=dua

rozi

s=afusi.

past

1sg-kill

abs-dog

rel=two

clsfr

rel=white

Num

‘I killed the two white dogs.’

However if we examine the position of relative clauses involving a verb
that is not a semantic adjective, we find the opposite pattern. In (2),
the relative clause involving the verb for ‘sleep’ must occur outside
the relative clause containing the numeral. The opposite order, in (2b),
is judged ungrammatical.

2.

a.

No

u-bunu

n-asu

si=dua

rozi

si=mörö.

past

1sg-kill

abs-dog

rel=two

clsfr

rel=sleep.

Num

Rel

‘I killed the two dogs that were sleeping.’

b.

*No

u-bunu

n-asu

si=mörö

si=dua

rozi.

past

1sg-kill

abs-dog

rel=sleep

rel=two

clsfr

Rel

Num

‘I killed the two dogs that were sleeping.’

In other words, despite the fact that all these modifiers involve
relative clauses, the one involving a semantic adjective must occur
closer to the noun. Even though these semantic adjectives are verbs,
they occur closer to the noun, unlike relative clauses involving other
verbs. My paper presents data from a number of other languages
exhibiting a similar pattern.

In a way this should not be surprising. A common hypothesis is that
modifiers representing more inherent properties are more likely to occur
closer to the noun. Since ‘white’ is more inherent than ‘sleeping’, it
is not surprising that it occurs closer to the noun. In other words, it
is the semantics that is relevant, not the particular construction.

In short, it is not the case that I ignored the finer properties of
semantic adjectives. Rather, I have collected a large amount of data
that shows that these finer properties have little affect on their word
order position, contrary to the claims of of LaPolla and Rijkhoff.

Matthew