[Lingtyp] Probabilistic typology vs. typology-based grammatical theory

Hedvig Skirgård hedvig.skirgard at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 04:01:56 UTC 2016

(My private worry is that some of these things are not as rare as they
seem, simply because the conventions of language description are so
different across language families, areas and just over time and
theoretical schools. That coupled with the fact that modern descriptivist
collect more spontaneous natural data than previous researchers might have,
so that some features that might be effected by genre seem like they're
something else. All of this combined with some other considerations make me
want to restrict the type of questions one can ask given a certain kind of
data. I trust grammars to be able to represent word order quite well, but
not focus constructions in narratives for example.)

/Hedvig

*Hedvig Skirgård*
PhD Candidate
The Wellsprings of Linguistic Diversity

ARC Centre of Excellence for the Dynamics of Language

School of Culture, History and Language
College of Asia and the Pacific

Rm 4203, H.C. Coombs Building (#9)
The Australian National University