[Lingtyp] Americanist contributions to typology

g.corbett at surrey.ac.uk g.corbett at surrey.ac.uk
Wed Jul 6 19:39:09 UTC 2016

Agreed. And not just the diachrony of nominal classification, but the synchronic typology too. We used to think that gender and classifiers were different phenomena; there were many examples of both, from several different families. There was a clear account by Dixon in 1986, setting out the differences in a convincing way. But then interesting examples were produced, particularly from south America, filling in the “gap”. Frank Seifert’s thesis on Miraña (2005) was a key step forward: looked at from one angle, Miiraña has a gender system, from a different angle it has a classifier system. The conclusion is inevitable, and we now have to come to grips with  the complex typology of nominal classification.

Grev