[Lingtyp] Lexical nominalisation of property concepts

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Sat Jun 11 07:33:31 UTC 2016

Luigi,

Unlike many of my typologist colleagues who seek refuge from the muddy
waters of formal criteria in the supposed clarity of semantics, I find
semantic criteria to often be just as problematical, if not more so,
than their formal counterparts.

For the purposes of my WALS map, I did not use headedness as a defining
criteria, and I would not wish to take a stand on the headedness in the
examples that you discuss.  By "adjective" I meant property-denoting
word one of whose typical functions is as an attribute of a noun, and by
"noun" I meant thing-denoting word.  The map shows the morphosyntactic
strategies that a language uses to allow an adjective to occur in a noun
slot — typically, but not criterially, heading a phrase that occurs in
an argument position. This definition is met, among others, by the /one/
in English /beautiful one/, the /de/ in Mandarin /hong de/, and also by
the lack of (dedicated adjective-to-noun conversion) marking in the
Italian /il bello/.

Best,

David

Email: gil at shh.mpg.de