[Lingtyp] Lexical nominalisation of property concepts

Tianqiao Lu lutianqiao at maonan.org
Sat Jun 11 09:50:31 UTC 2016

Dear Luigi,

The question you raise might also involve one of the processes of "noun categorization" found in many Tai-Kadai languages in Southeast Asia. In such a process, a class term or a classifier is attached to an adjective or a verb, functioning as a "de-adjectival nominalizer" or a de-verbalizer. For example, the class term ki- in Zhuang, a language spoken in southwest China by around 15 million speakers,  is attached to an adjective or a verb as a nominalizer:
ki-ˀi (class term-small) "small thing(s)",
ki-hung (class term-big) "big thing(s)",
ki-hoeng (class term-red) "red thing(s)",
ki-dam (class term-black) "black thing(s)",
ki-kɯn (class term-eat) "edible thing(s)"
ki-ˀjaɯ (class term-look) "thing(s) for reading ", etc.

The element ki- can't occur independently in a phrase or a clause.

Many classifiers denoting human, animal, plant, etc., can be used in the same way. For example, pu- in Zhuang: pu-hung (human classifier-big) "adult(s)", pu-ˀi (human classifier-small) "small child(ren)"; phuu- in Thai: phuu-chaay ((human class term - male) "male person(s)", phuu-ying (human class term - female) "male person(s)", phuu-yay (human class term - big) "adult(s)", among others.

Regards,

Mike Tianqiao Lu
School of Linguistic Sciences
Jiangsu Normal University