[Lingtyp] Lexical nominalization of property concepts

Randy John LaPolla (Prof) RandyLaPolla at ntu.edu.sg
Mon Jun 13 10:02:19 UTC 2016

Hi Martin,
I just replied to David, but I just want to add that the point you bring up about the fact that English one is not obligatory isn’t relevant here. My point is not that it is a substantivizer, but a pro-form that can be used alone, and so is clearly the head of the construction, and that for me is a big difference from Mandarin de, which cannot be used alone and is clearly not a pro-form and clearly not the head. Calling de a pro-form is simply wrong, both factually and logically. That is the issue we are discussing.
Factually, saying it is a pro-form does not fit its distribution at all. As someone who argues for a strictly inductive approach to language description, I would think you would be the first to say we should not impose categories on a construction or form just to fit our theory. Logically, saying that it is a pro-form because it is used in contexts where English pro-forms are used is like saying that rockets are wing-powered entities because they can fly like wing-powered creatures. It also does nothing for us to do so.

All the best,
Randy
-----
Prof. Randy J. LaPolla, PhD FAHA (羅仁地)| Division of Linguistics and Multilingual Studies | Nanyang Technological University
HSS-03-45, 14 Nanyang Drive, Singapore 637332 | Tel: (65) 6592-1825 GMT+8h | Fax: (65) 6795-6525 | http://randylapolla.net/