[Lingtyp] Call for nominations and applications: Editor of Linguistic Typology

Claire Bowern clairebowern at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 10:36:41 UTC 2017

Dear all,
I'm writing as Chair of the nomination committee, and as the person
who suggested the May 10 deadline. As Martin says, it has been known
for a while that we would need to find a new editor this year. The
initial stage is to collect nominations and suggestions for who could
fill the position, which the committee can then discuss. Given that
many typologists do fieldwork over the Northern summer, or otherwise
travel, we need to have suggestions in place at a time of year we can
act on them, and so that the process can be completed to allow time
for a smooth handover.

Let me emphasise that the nomination materials themselves are not
meant to be extensive. We've asked for a CV (a link to a recent web CV
Is fine), and a brief explanation for why the person is being
nominated and why they would be a good editor. We are not asking for
detailed or time-consuming nomination packets. (They should be sent to
lt.editor2 at gmail.com.) Two weeks should be ample for that.

Regarding Martin's comments -- the relationship between the LT journal
and the ALT would be something for a new editor to consider, in
consultation with the editorial board, ALT executive, and ALT
membership. However the role of LT is conceived in the future, we need
to find a replacement for the irreplaceable Frans in the near future.

Best wishes, and I look forward to seeing the nominations come in.
Claire

-----
Claire Bowern
Department of Linguistics