[Lingtyp] Call for nominations and applications: Editor of Linguistic Typology

Volker Gast volker.gast at uni-jena.de
Wed Apr 26 16:00:18 UTC 2017

Dear Claire and Jeff,
I'm afraid my spontaneous reaction to your email was a bit harsh and
less than fully explicit. As you know, there's an emotional component to
the matter. I'm writing that not primarily as an ALT-member but as a
friend and colleague of persons involved. I suspect that the relevant
ALT-committees are not without responsibility for the current situation.
I may well be wrong, of course; but if I'm wrong, that's due to a lack
of information given to us members. I may have missed something, but it
seems to me that up to the present day ALT-members have not been
properly informed about what happened. We received two very brief (and
somewhat cryptic) emails from Frans. I think it would be the president's
job to properly inform everybody of a matter as important as that. After
all, we elected an editor, and it looks like he no longer holds that
office, "[d]ue to unforeseen circumstances", as Frans put it . Has he
stepped down?

The search for a new LT-editor has been going on for at least one year
and a half, probably much longer "behind the curtains", as Bernhard put
it (unlike Bernhard and Susanne, I think that transparency is required
even of honorary officers, though I'm just as grateful as anyone else
that you're doing these jobs). The fact that no suitable candidate was
found for a long time, and that the elected editor no longer seems to
hold that office, may point to a shortage of experienced typologists
with sufficient time resources (and the other skills needed for the
job). You are right, of course, that the position is the most important
one within ALT. I therefore think that it should be taken seriously.

The job description requires a "good" publication record, "relevant
editorial experience" and "a history of prompt and efficient handling of
email and other communcation". That sounds a bit desperate to my ears. I
wonder if there are any requirements concerning matters of content. What
kind of profile is the journal intended to have in the future? Will it
focus on large-scale comparison, will it cover language documentation as
well, perhaps historical research, which is increasingly merging with
typological work? Will it have a quantitative/methodological focus? I
think the right way to go about this would be to determine a profile for
the journal and then find someone who fits that profile, rather than
looking for a random, potentially self-appointed person with a "good"
publication record and an excellent email writing "history". The last
(current?) editor was primarily chosen because of his methodological
expertise, if I remember correctly. The nomination was motivated by a
certain change of perspective for the journal. Do we have a similar plan
now?

Considering the importance of the position, I have to say that I am
quite unhappy with the way the procedure of finding a new editor has
been communicated to the membership. We learn that the president
"appointed" an "Editorial Search Committee", and that Claire Bowern is
the head of that committee. Who else is on it? Are the other members
also "appointed" (perhaps by Claire Bowern)? What is the function of
that committee? Will it select a suitable candidate? Will it propose a
shortlist of candidates to the members? What selection criteria will be
applied? Last time we had no choice, it was "take it or leave it". That
puts the Editorial Search Committee, whoever that is, in a position to
freely select an editor, as it is very unlikely that the members would
not accept a "take it or leave it"-option. Note moreover that the
Editorial Search Committtee "will also make nominations of their own",
which sounds like bad practice. I am aware that you do not intend to
fill that position with a candidate of your choice, and that we should
be more than happy if we can find anybody more or less filling the gap
that Frans will leave behind. Still, the procedure has an autocratic
flavour that you could have easily avoided by, first, informing us
members appropriately and, second, discussing the issue on a broader
scale (and, of course, earlier; the problem didn't come up last week,
after all).

There'd still be time to do that, but the last email from Claire sounds
-- sorry -- just as autocratic as the first, so I have little hope here.
Note that the deadline is not my primary concern; I'd primarily want to
know what kind of journal LT is going to be before we appoint, or even
propose, a new editor.

Best,
Volker