[Lingtyp] wordhood: bonded vs. bound

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at shh.mpg.de
Fri Dec 8 11:07:30 UTC 2017

Yes, ideally linguists should always say clearly what they mean, but one
could also argue that simple well-known terms such as "affix" (or
"genitive", or "perfect", or "ditransitive", etc.) should have a clear
default meaning, so that if one has no particular reason to deviate from
the default, one can simply use the term without further explanation,
and still be widely understood.

Fortunately, many or most terms in morphosyntax already work like this,
and it's only a minority that create problems. I feel that the IPA is a
useful analogy here: While most of the letters of the Latin alphabet are
clear, some create problems, and the IPA was quite successful in solving
these problems.

In this blogpost, I say a bit more about this:
https://dlc.hypotheses.org/1000.

Best,
Martin

--
Martin Haspelmath (haspelmath at shh.mpg.de)
Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History