[Lingtyp] R: genifiers (gender markers/classifiers)

Bisang, Prof. Dr. Walter wbisang at uni-mainz.de
Wed Mar 22 19:39:33 UTC 2017

Dear Martin, dear all,

this is an exciting discussion.

First of all, I fully agree with Randy:

<<<Whenever we make a higher abstraction we are moving one more step away from the facts of the languages. The terms “gender” and “noun classifier” are already abstractions across a range of different phenomena, and so there is some loss of information about the diversity of forms when we use such terms, and if we then make a categorial merger of these two forms, as suggested, we then lose even more information.>>>

We are not in a position to really understand how the different manifestations of "genifiers" are connected and we would certainly lose an enormous amount of information if we just look at whether a language is [±genifier]. In spite of this, a cover term would be useful. I actually wonder why not just talk about "class markers"?

I also think that we should take Mark's idea of looking at different functions very seriously. This looks to me like a potential semantic map for checking what functions individual "class markers/genifiers" can express. In some languages, they can express a lot of functions (cf. Sasha Aikhenvald's "multiple classifier languages").

I would also like to thank Ruth for her references - I am looking forward to reading these publications.

Best wishes,

Walter