[Lingtyp] genifiers (gender markers/classifiers)

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at shh.mpg.de
Wed Mar 22 20:18:24 UTC 2017

I fully agree with Mark on this:

On 22.03.17 00:25, Mark W. Post wrote:

> It seems to me that what we're really talking about here is the same
> thing that we usually talk about, which is that there are no
> cross-linguistically watertight categories, but we want to do typology
> anyway, so what do we do? We can select a semantic parameter (a
> "comparative concept") in terms of which categories may be similar
> across languages, but they will differ in other respects. If we focus
> on those other respects, we can end up with a different typology. It
> may be that the real difficulty here is that our traditional
> category-labels, and the categories they are designed to capture, are
> multi-dimensional.

Genifiers may of course cumulate with other functions, e.g. referential
specification (as in Mark's Yi examples), or definiteness (as in Spanish
definite articles /el/la/), or number. These forms are thus
simultaneouly articles and/or number markers, but from the perspective
of genification, they are genifiers.

I also agree with Randy:

On 22.03.17 03:42, Randy LaPolla wrote:

> Whenever we make a higher abstraction we are moving one more step away
> from the facts of the languages. The terms “gender” and “noun
> classifier” are already abstractions across a range of different
> phenomena, and so there is some loss of information about the
> diversity of forms when we use such terms, and if we then make a
> categorial merger of these two forms, as suggested, we then lose even
> more information.

Of course we "lose" information when we generalize across languages. But
one needs to understand that typological categorization is very
different from description. It may be that "there is the danger that
this usage filters back into descriptions of languages", but this is so
only if describers think that describing a language means putting
pre-established labels on them. They should be warned against this, by
emphasizing that comparative concepts are meant for comparison, and can
be used for description only if there is no significant cross-linguistic
variation in the relevant domain (e.g. "1st person", or "fricative").

To get back to my original question: Does anyone know a reason why one
shouldn't define "gender" as a comparative concept in the following way:?

A *gender system* (= a system of gender markers) is a system of
genifiers which includes no more than 20 genifiers and which is not
restricted to numeral modifiers.

I'm not very comfortable with a definition that makes reference to an
arbitrary number, but I'm even less comfortable with a situation where
we have no definition for "gender" at all, because this makes much of
the earlier literature unreadable. It seems to me that Corbett (1991) is
about gender systems roughly in the above sense.

Best,
Martin

--
Martin Haspelmath (haspelmath at shh.mpg.de)
Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History