[Lingtyp] wordhood

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at shh.mpg.de
Mon Nov 13 21:27:47 UTC 2017

I think we can distinguish two broad kinds of situations:

(1) where a comparative concept is defined by a single criterion or a
set of simultaneouly necessary and sufficient criteria (e.g. "dative",
defined by the criterion of flagging the recipient)

(2) where a comparative concept is defined by multiple disjunctive criteria

I have been arguing that we should adopt definitions of the former type,
but Peter Arkadiev is now arguing that the latter should also be
accepted. Well, maybe he is right, but I think that disjunctive
definitions are acceptable only if the criteria are independently known
to correlate tightly.

For example, let's assume that we know that people with a high income
very often drive expensive cars and strongly tend to have gardeners.
Then we can define a sociological category "rich person" disjunctively:
Someone who either (i) has a high income, or (ii) drives an expensive
car, or (iii) has a gardener (or several of these simultaneously).
Intuitively, this sounds reasonable.

But we could also create disjunctively defined concepts based on
criteria that don't correlate. For example, we could set up a
sociological category "meggle person" defined as someone who either (i)
owns a Huawei smartphone, or (ii) likes Mendelssohn music, or (iii)
works as a taxi-driver on weekends (or several of these simultaneously).
Intuitively, this sounds crazy – though the impression that such
features correlate might arise through some accident (e.g. if there were
a movie where two or three meggle people play a role).

So I would say that before we can accept a disjunctive definition of a
comparative concept, it must be shown that the different criteria
correlate very significantly. I don't think this has been shown for
stereotypical subject properties, or for stereotypical word properties –
though it may well be that it's true (I have no clear intuitions).

So basically what I'm arguing is that we shouldn't rely on stereotypical
property clusters, but we should investigate whether the properties do
indeed cluster. (Recall that typology originated in German Romanticism,
which was closely linked to nationalism, and eventually to racism – and
we all know that we should not trust racial stereotypes, though some of
the supposed correlations may turn out to be correct after they are
investigated.)

Best,
Martin

--
Martin Haspelmath (haspelmath at shh.mpg.de)
Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History