[Lingtyp] wordhood

Daniel Ross djross3 at illinois.edu
Tue Nov 14 00:47:22 UTC 2017

I do not see Peter's approach (or mine for 'family') as disjoint. Instead,
I see it as abstract and variably interpreted in each language. Thus
subjects, or words, or families, or whatever, must be understood like
patterns or behaviors, rather than basic natural kinds.

I would think that, for example, those who like the approach to
categorization of Cognitive Grammar would appreciate the idea that
categories like "word" are emergent in particular grammars but broadly
similar based on our human nature. The concept of "family" differs across
cultures, but most or all humans have some interest in (their version of)
that concept.

Similarly, many languages seem to organize their grammars with some level
between morpheme and phrase. In fact, that does not seem unexpected to me
at all: phrases are loosely connected, and morphemes are not divisible.
Having an emergent level where there is a tight connection seems like a
completely natural development to me for complex systems like languages. So
most or all languages have something like words, but actually DEFINING what
a "word" "is" does not come easily because the ways in which languages "DO
words" is variable.

I'm beginning to wonder if typological categories are best thought of as
actions that languages do, rather than structures or properties that
languages "HAVE".

(I have some more thoughts expanding on that (thinking out loud) but I will
attach those as a text document rather than making this email excessively
long.)

And having said that, I will now go back to applying my comparative
concepts to a language sample to see which ones have which features-- a
good starting point at least.

Daniel