[Lingtyp] wordhood

William Croft wcroft at unm.edu
Tue Nov 14 15:37:04 UTC 2017

A definition “variably interpreted in each language” is a disjunctive definition. If I use fact A to define ‘word’ in Language X, fact B to define ‘word’ in Language Y, and fact C to define ‘word’ in Language Z, then ‘word’ is defined as “defined by either A or B or C”. Or else ‘word’ means something different in Languages X, Y and Z, i.e. it is a language-specific concept, and the fact that it’s called ‘word’ in each language is just a coincidence.

In the disjunctive/variable approach, one is basically free to choose a fact that fits one’s intuition about what is or isn’t a word in each language (i.e., one’s “abstract” or essentialist definition). This is what I described as “methodological opportunism” in Radical Construction Grammar. The problem arises when people’s intuitions differ -- see Matthew’s comments on Martin’s 2013 proposed comparative concept definition of affix. Then different people appeal to different facts in the same language (or across languages), and we’re in a situation where people are not looking at the same facts.

The crucial point about Martin’s remarks about disjunctive definitions of comparative concepts is his comment about whether or not the disjunctive properties empirically cluster together or not. The crucial goal is to find the empirical generalizations. Methodological opportunism and the essentialist approach it is used to support are unempirical in that grammatical facts are inconsistently appealed to across languages (and other facts that don’t support the essentialist definition are ignored).

If one doesn’t avoid the variation that makes it hard or impossible to posit an essentialist definition of a grammatical concept, then not only does one accept crosslinguistic diversity for what it is, but one can also find genuine crosslinguistic universals that cannot be found if one assumes an essentialist definition. Examples include the Subject Construction Hierarchy described in chapter 4 of Radical Construction Grammar (based on Kazenin 1994 plus some observations in Croft 1991); the typological markedness patterns for parts of speech in Croft 1991 and elsewhere; similar patterns for case marking and indexation (agreement) of core participants described in chapter 4 of Typology and Universals (based in turn on observations by a number of typologists); the deranking hierarchies of subordination described by Givón (1980) and Cristofaro (2003), and last and finest, the universals of predication of various concept types described by Stassen (1997), to name the ones that come most quickly to mind. And, perhaps not surprisingly, these crosslinguistic universals of variation support fairly traditional notions of ‘subject’, ‘noun’, ‘verb’, ‘adjective’, and ‘subordinate clause’, but in a nonessentialist fashion. One does not have to be an essentialist to construct a theory of language universals (or a universal theory of language, if you prefer that way of describing it).

    I suspect that the same is true of ‘word’, and I am hoping someone will do it. It will be a major challenge, because it has to go from segmental and prosodic phonology to syntax, semantics and discourse. But I believe that a nonessentialist theory of wordhood that supports most of our intuitions can come out of it.

Bill