[Lingtyp] wordhood

Volker Gast volker.gast at uni-jena.de
Fri Nov 17 13:58:16 UTC 2017

I would like to endorse some of the more recent contributions to this
discussion, specifically:

* It seems to me that the term 'comparative concept' is often used to
legitimize cross-linguistic comparison, as a solution to the problem of
"comparison of incommensurable systems". It describes common practice;
but that doesn't mean, in my view, that its application or use renders
our research more valid. If comparative concepts are subjective and
arbitrary, their use amounts to violating some of the most important
quality criteria of empirical research.

* As "we" (not sure who exactly that pronoun refers to, but it's widely
used on this list) do not believe in innate concepts, we do not of
course believe in "Platonic" words; but if we want to assume that "word"
is a unit of classification relevant to human language, e.g. because
there is some covariation between phonological, morphological, syntactic
and semantic criteria, it should be defined in functional terms (and do
we really want to abandon "word" order typology?). Proper names might
provide a suitable prototype, as they can straightforwardly be defined
in functional terms (e.g. in a pragmatic way à la Peirce). If I am not
mistaken, prominent theories of language acquisition rely on the notion
of "word". Perhaps there is a cognitive motivation after all.

Volker

Am 17.11.2017 um 13:22 schrieb Dryer, Matthew:

> I think that these five phenomena can be considered a single
> comparative concept only if they are exhaustive in the sense that
> there cannot be any other phenomena that are arguably instances of the
> intended higher order concept they are instances of. In other words,
> it is not enough that the phenomena share something in common.
> Otherwise, we really have a disjunctive definition in disguise. After
> all, Martin’s meggle people all share the property of being people. It
> is not immediately obvious, however, that these five phenomena share
> some property to the exclusion of all others.
>
> But I am puzzled by Martin’s asking whether there is evidence for such
> an abstract property. It’s not clear what it would mean for there to
> be evidence for such a property. One needs to give an argument,
> perhaps, but surely not evidence.
>
> Matthew
>
> From: Lingtyp <lingtyp-bounces at listserv.linguistlist.org
> <mailto:lingtyp-bounces at listserv.linguistlist.org>> on behalf of
> Martin Haspelmath <haspelmath at shh.mpg.de <mailto:haspelmath at shh.mpg.de>>
> Date: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 at 7:53 PM
> To: "lingtyp at listserv.linguistlist.org
> <mailto:lingtyp at listserv.linguistlist.org>"
> <lingtyp at listserv.linguistlist.org
> <mailto:lingtyp at listserv.linguistlist.org>>
> Subject: Re: [Lingtyp] wordhood
>
> Christian Lehmann's paper on concepts and categories can be read as
> supporting the idea that comparative concepts can also be used for
> describing languages, but in a recent extended exchange with him, I
> understood that he actually supports the idea that structural
> descriptions and tertia comparationis (= comparative concepts) are on a
> different level.
>
> In any event, we seem to agree mostly that disjunctive definitions are
> "pointless" or even "incoherent" (as I have put it).
>
> David wants to argue that the diverse phenomena in different languages
> can be seen as reflecting some more abstract formal property. So for
> example, all of (1)-(5) could be seen to reflect phonological
> "bondedness" (or "same prosodic domain"):
>
> (1) vowel harmony
> (2) tone sandhi
> (3) progressive ATR assimilation
> (4) vowel reduction
> (5) preoralization of final nasals
>
> But my question is: Is there independent evidence for the existence of
> this abstract formal property?
>
> To go back to my absurd example of "meggle people": I could set up an
> abstract feature [megglehood] and claim that the various observable
> properties (Huawei smartphone, Mendelssohn music, taxi-driving) are just
> manifestations of this abstract feature.
>
> So is there reason to think that (1)-(5) are different? Well, for
> (1)-(3), one can give a substantive reason for their coherence: They are
> all assimilatory (though I'm not sure about tone sandhi). Intuitively,
> elements that are assimilated to each other have a strong "bond", so I
> [...]

Prof. Volker Gast
English and American Studies
Ernst-Abbe-PLatz 8
D-07743 Jena