[Lingtyp] ALT: code of conduct

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at shh.mpg.de
Mon Nov 20 21:04:17 UTC 2017

On 20.11.17 19:02, Kristine Hildebrandt wrote:
> I do urge ALT members *not* to simply assume that this Association (or
> any other) gets to 'opt out' of this issue, so I would welcome some
> discussion on this towards crafting revised language, either online or
> during a special session, language that /can/eventually be adopted
> formally.

Here's a proposal for a revised code of conduct (copied from the
upcoming Australian Linguistic Society meeting
<http://sydney.edu.au/arts/conference/als_2017/code.shtml>'s code of
conduct):

Conference participants will:

  * treat fellow participants, students, volunteers, and any other
    members of the public with respect, dignity, impartiality, courtesy
    and sensitivity;
  * maintain a cooperative and collaborative approach to inter-personal
    relationships;
  * respect the privacy of others;
  * ensure that they do not become involved in or encourage
    discrimination against or harassment of participants, students,
    volunteers, or any other members of the public.

For me, the main point is that there should be no threat to expel
participants from the conference for what they say.

The ALS's statement should go at least some way toward "setting the
tone" against anti-scientific behaviour of the kind highlighted by
Claire, without falling into the trap of being anti-scientific in a
different way.

Another thing that ALT could do is introduce mandatory "harrassment
training" at the beginning of the conference – this is something that is
completely unknown in Germany and other non-Anglo-American countries,
but maybe it's something that the whole world needs – I'm certainly open
to this possibility. It would be a slight annoyance for some people, but
the main thing for me is that there would be no threat to expel a
colleague from the conference.

Best,
Martin

--
Martin Haspelmath (haspelmath at shh.mpg.de)
Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History