[Lingtyp] ALT: code of conduct

Good, Jeff jcgood at buffalo.edu
Tue Nov 21 13:13:00 UTC 2017

Dear all,

In light of the ongoing debate about the proposed code of conduct, I would like to send a brief message on behalf of the ALT Executive Committee.

The ALT Executive Committee recognizes the importance of allowing open debates on topics of relevance to the association and encourages members with an opinion on the proposed code of conduct to voice their views publicly on as they see fit. Regardless of the outcome of the vote, we welcome further discussion of this topic at the upcoming biennial meeting.

We also encourage members to vote on the code (whether for or against) as presently proposed, and we do not plan to propose a revised code before the biennial meeting. Based on the discussion at the meeting, a revision to the code can be developed if the present code is passed or a new code can be proposed if the present proposal does not pass.

Best,
Jeff Good
President, Association for Linguistic Typology