[Lingtyp] ALT: code of conduct

Kilu von Prince watasenia at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 05:42:27 UTC 2017

Dear all,

just weighing in very briefly. I am very happy to be a member of this
community and have benefitted greatly from less heated and less politicised
discussions. Having said that, I just wanted to add: Many people have never
felt safe at a conference because of their skin color, cultural background,
disability, gender, sexual orientation and similar aspects of identity as
it says in the proposed code.

If you have felt safe and at home so far, that is your privilege. And yes,
agreeing to a Code of Conduct might mean giving up some of that privilege
and taking a leap of faith that it will be handled responsibly. There have
been productive discussions about what exactly a CoC should look like and
some good results, but there is never going to be a completely fool-proof
version. I would like to ask us, who have been enjoying considerable
privilege (first person plural inclusive), to take a leap of faith, so that
everyone can enjoy a certain level of comfort and safety.

Best,
Kilu