[Lingtyp] Questions on possessives

Elizabeth K Nielsen ekayen at uw.edu
Wed Sep 13 21:11:07 UTC 2017

Hello,

Many thanks to Bernard Comrie, Seino van Breugel, and Martin Haspelmath for
their responses to my questions, which I’ve summarized below.

First, I asked about adjective placement in languages where possession is
marked by simple juxtaposition. Bernard Comrie provided the following
example from Egyptian Arabic (found in T.F. Mitchell. Colloquial Arabic:
The living language of Egypt. London, 1962: English Universities Press,
p.49.):

           rubAAT            gazma                          9AsmAr

            lacing (M.SG) shoe.pair (SG.F)          black.M.SG

           'the black laces of the shoes'

            rubAAT            gazma                         sAmrA

            lacing (M.SG) shoe.pair (SG.F)          black.F.SG

            'the laces of the black shoes'

These examples demonstrate that an adjective may modify a possessum in such
constructions, even if it is not adjacent to it.

Second, I asked if there were possessive phrases of the form "the [the
cat-GEN] paw" in languages with modifier-like possessives. Dr. Comrie gave
the following example from Ancient Greek, which illustrates exactly this
pattern (from William W. Goodwin, A Greek grammar. New edition. London,
1894: Macmillan & Co, section 1085):

he: toû patròs oikía

             the.F.SG.NOM the.M.SG.GEN father(M).SG.GEN house(F)Sg.NOM

             ‘the father's house'

Seino van Breugel referred me to Section 6.4 (pp.106-9) of his 2014
publication, *A grammar of Atong* (Leiden, Boston: Brill.), which shows
examples of juxtaposed nouns with possible possessive interpretation.

Martin Haspelmath recommended his forthcoming article, “Explaining
alienability contrasts in adpossessive constructions: Predictability vs.
iconicity” (in *Zeitschrift für Sprachwissenschaft *2017; 36(2): 193–231),
which provides many examples of languages with juxtaposition-style
possessive constructions, which are a good potential source of examples for
those interested.

Best,

Elizabeth Nielsen