[Lingtyp] tone alone marking plural nouns?

Henrik Liljegren henrik at ling.su.se
Wed Sep 27 08:38:06 UTC 2017

Hi Mike,
Perhaps you are already familiar with the role of tone in Kalam Kohistani (aka Gawri [gwc]), the Indo-Aryan language in northern Pakistan that Joan Baart has studied. Tone (with or without vowel modification) is actually one of the main mechanisms of a singular vs. plural distinction (as well as case distinctions). For instance, if the singular has H, the plural often has HL. This is a rather unusual system even among the Indo-Aryan languages of that region (Joan describes the language as having five “melodies”), even though contrastive lexical tone is relatively common in the languages of the Hindu Kush region. Possibly there are similar things going on in neighbouring Torwali [trw] and Kalkoti [xka] (see my paper below), but that is yet to be fully described.
Henrik

Baart, J. L. G. “Tone Rules in Kalam Kohistani (Garwi, Bashkarik).” Bulletin of the School of Oriental and African Studies 62 (1999): 87–104.

Baart, J. L. G. A Sketch of Kalam Kohistani Grammar. Vol. 5. Studies in Languages of Northern Pakistan. Islamabad: National Institute of Pakistan Studies, Quaid-i-Azam University and Summer Institute of Linguistics, 1999.

Baart, J. L. G. The Sounds and Tones of Kalam Kohistan: With Wordlist and Texts. Vol. 1. Studies in Languages of Northern Pakistan. Islamabad: National Institute of Pakistan Studies, Quaid-i-Azam University and Summer Institute of Linguistics., 1997.

Liljegren, Henrik. “Notes on Kalkoti: A Shina Language with Strong Kohistani Influences.” Linguistic Discovery 11, no. 1 (2013): 129–60. doi:10.1349/PS1.1537-0852.A.423.