[Lingtyp] tone alone marking plural nouns?

Iker Salaberri ikersalaberri at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 13:06:45 UTC 2017

Dear Mr. Cahill, Lourdes, Sasha and everyone else,

I attach a short (0:54) audio recording with a few of the raising
(singular) vs. falling (plural) contour tone minimal pairs in Goizueta
Basque that I told you about the other day, begotten by courtesy of Prof.
Dr. Juan Joxe Zubiri, from the Public University of Navarre, a native
speaker of Goizueta Basque himself. To answer your question, yes, he and
all other Goizuetans can perfectly distinguish such minimal pairs.

Seeing as I do, however, that experts in Basque phonetics and phonology
much greater than myself, such as Profs. Drs. Miren Lourdes Oñederra and
Alexandre Arkhipov are present in this mailing list, I would recommend you
to consult them, should you have any further questions regarding this
variety.

Kind regards,

Iker Salaberri