[Lingtyp] query: verbal diminutives

Alex Francois francois at vjf.cnrs.fr
Tue Dec 18 11:43:41 UTC 2018

dear Eva, dear all,

Indeed the polysemy of reduplication is often fascinating, due to its
semantic versatility.

In Mwotlap (Oceanic, Vanuatu) reduplication can encode diminutive
*and* augmentative
values.

(1)   n-ēy    'lobster'
=>    n-*ēyēy*  'prawn'       [Diminutive reading]

(2)   n-ēm̄     *liwo     *=>   n-ēm̄     *lililwo*

/Art-house  large/            /Art-house  large~RED/
'a large house'   =>  a) 'a very large house'  [Intensive reading]
                      b) 'many large houses'   [Plural reading]

(3)  na-qyan̄     'a hole'  (typically one large hole, e.g. 2-feet wide)
     na-*qyaqyan̄*  'many small holes'  (e.g. on a sieve)

[Note:  Mwotlap doesn't encode grammatical plural on non-human referents;
so the plural reading is here implied by lexical derivation, rather than
being a grammatical plural.  Some human nouns form their grammatical plural
by reduplication.]

Used with verbs, reduplication can encode such values as distributional,
pluractional, iterative, habitual, imperfective, intensional.

These uses of reduplication are exemplified and discussed in a paper (available
here <http://alex.francois.online.fr/AFpub_articles_e.htm#10> under 2004*a*)
where I tried to address the semantic fluidity of reduplication:

   - François, Alexandre. 2004. *La réduplication en mwotlap : les
   paradoxes du fractionnement*.
   In É. Zeitoun (ed.),* Les langues austronésiennes*. Special issue of *Faits
   de langues* n°24: 177–194.

(My reflection was inspired by Francesc Queixalós' notion of
"distensivity", cited earlier on in this thread.)

In a nutshell, I proposed to describe the effect of reduplication in
Mwotlap as a form of *semantic fragmentation*  ["fractionnement"].
If you take a large biscuit and smash it, you end up with

   - *less than* a biscuit    (= lots of small pieces of a biscuit, none of
   which is a full one)
   - *more than* a biscuit  (= lots of small biscuits)

This could be called the paradox of the Magical pocket
<https://dinolingo.com/japanese-for-kids/japanese-culture/magical-pocket-pokettono-naka-japanese-childrens-song/>
.

The effects of reduplication on verbs also are similarly versatile, and can
be understood as also reflecting a form of (notional, abstract)
"fragmentation".

Thus, the simple form *tot* 'chop' refers to a single (semelfactive) act of
chopping, typically understood as complete [e.g. chopping off a branch in a
single stroke].
Its reduplicated counterpart *totot* will, iconically, describe a series of
(mini-) chopping events, which can be understood as:

   - pluractional, iterative
   (several acts of chopping; chopping off several branches)
   - intensive
   (considerable amount of chopping)
   - tentative / conative
   (many attempts, typically unsuccessful, at chopping at smtg)
   - habitual
   ("chopping" as a habitual activity, e.g. describing the work of a
   lumberjack)
   - intensional
   (infinitive, nominalisation, non-finite:  the notion of chopping, as
   opposed to the description of a single referential ["extensional"] act)
   - imperfective aspect
   (describing an ongoing, and hence incomplete, action of chopping)
   - atelic / detransitivised uses
   - *tot* = telic, transitive;
      - *totot* = atelic, labile  (possibly intransitive)
      >> used in antipassive-like constructions with incorporated object,
      referring to the activity. [cf. Mithun 1984]

These verbal uses of reduplication can sometimes be understood as "
*augmentative*" in a way, through their pluractional / iterative /
intensive readings.  But in a different way, they are also akin to "
*diminutives*": because instead of a nice, massive one-stroke act of
chopping, reduplication can refer to repeated, possibly unsuccessful,
mini-acts of quasi-chopping.  As per the paradox of the Magical pocket.

best,
Alex
------------------------------

Alex François