[Lingtyp] Is there 'Raising' triggered by pseudo noun incorporation?

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at shh.mpg.de
Sun Feb 4 10:06:39 UTC 2018

“Possessor raising” is a term that was used widely in the 1970s and
1980s for construction pairs like the following:

[My head] aches. <–> I ache @head.

You washed [my feet]. <–> You washed me @feet.

In Relational Grammar (RG), this came to be called “possessor ascension”
in more technical parlance (Blake 1990: 79-83), and the idea was that in
the construction with a raised possessor, the possessor occupies the
syntactic role that the possessed noun has in the construction with
adnominal possessor. So this is different from the French construction
“Tu m’as lavé les pieds”, where the external possessor is a kind of
“dative argument”. Since 1999 (Payne & Barshi (eds.)), all these
constructions have sometimes come to be subsumed under the heading
“external possessor constructions”.

I’m not aware of any large-scale cross-linguistic studies of such
constructions – most of the works dealing with them seem to be about
particular languages (König & Haspelmath (1998) deal with a lot of
languages, but primarily European languages of the French type). So this
is still a desideratum in typology.

Now what is the role of the possessed noun (@head, @feet) in the raised
construction? It seems that it can have all kinds of different
properties. In RG, it was called “demoted” (or “chômeur”), and in some
languages, it is strictly adjacent to the verb stem and called
“incorporated”. Then it looks like this, schematically:

I head-ache.

You feet-washed me.

Father knife-sharpened the neighbor. (Alexey (“Lesha”) Vinyar’s Chukchi
example)

Now Alexey Vinyar’s question is whether one gets this sort of pattern
also with pseudo-incorporation (PNI), where the possessed noun is still
strictly adjacent, but a complete noun phrase can occur in this position
(not just a noun stem). So this would be something like

You [@dirty feet]-washed me.

Father sharpened-[@dull knife] the neighbor.

I don’t know of any cases, but I’m not sure whether PNI is a
particularly useful notion to begin with. As seen nicely in Borik &
Gehrke’s (2015) book, there are a wide range of related constructions
with some family resemblances but apparently little overall coherence.

One interesting observation that was made in the 1980s is that even the
possessed nouns in French-type “raising-to-dative” constructions show
some restrictions, e.g. in that they cannot take nonrestrictive modifiers:

Tu m’as lavé les pieds. (“You washed-me the feet”)

*Tu m’as lavé les pieds sales. (“You washed-me the dirty feet”)

(See König & Haspelmath 1998: §2.4.) They may also be restricted in that
they must be definite (He hit me on the arm/?He hit me on an arm), and
in that they must be verb-adjacent:

German

Du hast deinem Kind oft die Füße gewaschen. (“You often washed your
child the feet”)

?Du hast deinem Kind die Füße oft gewaschen.

Best,

Martin

*******