[Lingtyp] Pronominal nasality and the areality of iconicity

Bohnemeyer, Juergen jb77 at buffalo.edu
Sun Feb 11 17:31:11 UTC 2018

Going beyond sound, Peirce treated metaphors as one type of icons (along with pictures and diagrams) since they are motivated by similarity. Examples of contact-diffused metaphors abound, of course. A great example of areally shared metaphors are meronymic body part metaphors in Mesoamerica, such as ‘mouth’/‘lips’ for doors and other apertures. The late Tom Smith-Stark did extensive research on these areally diffused metaphors, and Campbell et al (1986) treat them as one predictor/indicator of membership in the Mesoamerican sprachbund.

Campbell, L., Kaufman, T., & T. C. Smith-Stark. 1986. Meso-America as a linguistic area. Language 62(3): 530-570.

Smith-Stark, T. C. 1994. Mesoamerican calques. In C. MacKay & V. Vázquez (eds.), Investigaciones lingüísticas en Mesoamérica. Mexico City: Instituto de Investigaciones Filológicas, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México. 15-50.