[Lingtyp] Pronominal nasality and the areality of iconicity

Johanna NICHOLS johanna at berkeley.edu
Sun Feb 11 08:06:14 UTC 2018

I found evidence for the same kind of pattern in 'sun' and 'moon', and
maybe some other salient natural pairs:

Nichols, Johanna. 2001. Why “me” and “thee”? Laurel J. Brinton, ed.,
Historical Linguistics 1999, 253-276. Amsterdam-Philadelphia: Benjamins.

and not just in personal pronouns but also in interrogative pronouns:

Nichols, Johanna. 2012. The history of an attractor state: Adventitious m
in Nakh-Daghestanian. Tiina Hyytiäinen, Lotta Jalava, Janne Saarikivi and
Erika Sandman, ed., Per Urales ad Orientem: Iter Polyphonicum Multilingue
(Festschrift for Juha Janhunen), 261-278. Helsinki: SUST.

See also work by Matthias Urban, e.g.:

Urban, Matthias. 2009. ‘Sun’ and ‘moon’ in the Circum-Pacific language
area. Anthropological Linguistics 51:3-4: 328-346.
Urban, Matthias, 2012. Analyzability and semantic associations in referring
expressions: A study in comparative lexicology. Ph.D. dissertation, Leiden
University.

I woud be interested in seeing a copy of your thesis when it's finished
(unless it's in Korean, which I can't read).

Johanna Nichols