[Lingtyp] Query re pronoun inventories

Joo Ian ian.joo at outlook.com
Sun Feb 25 20:39:38 UTC 2018

Thank you Rikker for the helpful information. I had a look at the article (available here<https://www.academia.edu/5487304/The_Gendering_of_Language_A_Comparison_of_Gender_Equality_in_Countries_with_Gendered_Natural_Gender_and_Genderless_Languages>) and what seemed a bit problematic to me was this part:

First, we explored whether geographic region predicted gender equality by comparing differences in gender equality by continent (Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Europe, and Australia). A series of one-way ANOVAs comparing the differences in means by continent suggested that a contrast comparing Eastern (Africa and Asia) versus Western cultures (North and South America, Europe, and Australia) would best represent the variance based on geographic location. Thus, in our final analyses, our indicator of geographic location contrasted countries in Eastern versus Western cultures.

So the control for areality was a binary distinction between Eastern and Western cultures, which I don’t really think is legitimate. For example, in their data, if you look at Latin American countries, most of which speak either Spanish or Portuguese (both gendered), the Global Gender Gap Index is low (=inequality high), and if you look at Middle Eastern countries, most of which speak Arabic dialects (all gendered I think), the GGG Index is low. So I don’t think it’s really fair to do a binary distinction between Eastern/Western cultures and it just seems to me that gender inequality tends to be strong in certain regions which happen to mostly use gendered languages, and saying that the former is the result of the latter seems to be confusing correlation with causation.

>From Taipei,
Ian Joo
http://ianjoo.academia.edu