[Lingtyp] Coexpression of source and agent

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at shh.mpg.de
Sat Jul 21 10:20:00 UTC 2018

Dear all,

A side comment on terminology: The term "syncretism" is not only opaque,
ugly and ambiguous (it originally referred to merging of case
distinctions in Indo-European, which was likened to religious
syncretism, in a strange metaphor; it can still have this purely
diachronic meaning referring to Indo-European cases) -- it is also
impractical because it does not have a good corresponding verb (cf.
??"Malay /dari/ syncretizes source and agent").

Moreover, it is typically associated with inflection (cf. the Surrey
definition: " The term 'syncretism' refers to the phenomenon whereby a
single form fulfils two or more different functions within the
inflectional morphology of a language":
http://www.smg.surrey.ac.uk/syncretism/).

(And syncretism seems to have been construed as a relation between
forms: cf. the original title of this thread "syncretism between forms
encoding source and agent" -- a very cumbersome formulation.)

I would like to propose replacing the term "syncretism" by
"coexpression" when it is not used in a context of inflectional
morphology (and maybe also in that context). The term "coexpression" is
transparent and clear -- and it can be used for all kinds of situations
where one form corresponds to two meanings or functions.

It has the transparent corresponding verb "coexpress": "Malay /dari/
coexpresses source and agent".

This term was first used in our 2014 paper on semantic role coexpression
patterns (Hartmann et al. 2014), and was taken up in David Gil's recent
paper on DO/GIVE coexpression. It was inspired by Alex François's (2008)
term "colexification" (also used in Johann-Mattis List's new CLLD
database on colexifications: http://clics.clld.org/).

A colexification pattern is just a special kind of coexpression pattern
-- and one might also want to coin the term "coexponence" for
inflectional morphology, for a situation where a single vocabulary item
coexpones two feature values; i.e. for what has been known as
"inflectional syncretism".

Finally, a semantic map could be called a "coexpression map", allowing
us to be neutral between different interpretations (cf. different terms
such as "conceptual map", "cognitive map", "implicational map", which
will confuse many students).

Best,
Martin