[Lingtyp] Coexpression of source and agent

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Sat Jul 21 21:08:23 UTC 2018

Tom,

You ask "What happened to 'polyfunctional?'  Well the problem with
"polyfunctional" is that it presupposes that the form in question has
multiple distinct functions, as opposed to, say, a single broad function
that encompasses several distinct more specific functions expressed by
distinct forms in some other (usually the linguist's own) language.  For
the latter case I have proposed the term "macrofunctional".

The rationale behind the term "coexpression" is that it is neutral
between the distinction between macrofunctionality, polyfunctionality,
and for that matter also homonymy.  This is precisely the point made in
an earlier posting in this thread by Juergen Bohnemeyer (though he uses
the terms "underspecification" and "polysemy" instead of
"macrofunctionality" and "polyfunctionality".

We need the cover term "coexpression" in order to be able to ask
questions such as whether a given instance of coexpression is a case of
macrofunctionalty/underspecification, polyfunctionality/polysemy or
homonymy.  And in order to refer to the phenomena described in large
databases such as Johann-Mattis List's CLLD, where, because of their
broad coverage, it is impossible and arguably undesirable to adjudicate,
for each and every case, whether it is an instance of
macrofunctionalty/underspecification, polyfunctionality/polysemy or
homonymy.  (Johann-Mattis actually uses the term "colexification", but
following Martin Haspelmath's earlier comment, I take colexification to
be a particular case of coexpression also encompassing
macrofunctionalty/underspecification, polyfunctionality/polysemy and
homonymy.)

David

Email: gil at shh.mpg.de