[Lingtyp] collective action marking

Bastian Persohn persohn.linguistics at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 08:21:56 UTC 2018

Dear Randy,

I am not sure, if this answers your question, but in Bantu languages the
derivational suffix -/an/, usually labelled a "reciprocal" often has an
array of functions, one of which is that of a joint action. Thilo
Schadeberg's chapter on derivation in the (2003) Routledge volume on
Bantu languages might be a good starting point, especially the following
Zigula example (my glosses):

/mthu na-mbuyaye wa=pang-an-a dende dya-mphasi
/person and/with-friend they-share-'reciprocal'-final_vowel leg
of-grasshopper
'A man and his friend share the leg of a grasshopper.' (proverb)
(Schadeberg 2003: 76)

In my (2017) book on Nyakusa (free .pdf available via LangSci press) I
list the following examples of the reciprocal's sociative function (p. 90):
/jabana/ 'divide amongst each other' < /jaba /'divide; distribute'
/gonana /'sleep together; copulate' < /gona /'rest, sleep'
(-/a/ is the default stem final vowel)

Hope this somehow helps.

Best,
Bastian