[Lingtyp] terminology

Mark Post mark.post at sydney.edu.au
Wed Jul 25 23:57:12 UTC 2018

Surely the most difficult issue regarding standardization of terminology in linguistics is not standardization of terminology per se, but rather agreement on the nature of the denotata? In case any committees or workshops are interested in adjudicating the boundaries of denotata - in which case, best of luck! - I see little point in attempting to adjudicate among terms.

[Note that this is distinct from List's point regarding the descriptive or explanatory content of any given term.]

Mark