[Lingtyp] terminology

Daniel Ross djross3 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 04:46:44 UTC 2018

Thank you for bringing the topic up for discussion, Martin.

I think this is a very important but complex issue, and I'm not quite sure
how I feel about it, even though I also have some strong feelings. I spend
my days going through grammars and trying to decide if languages "have"
some feature. Of course I can simply look at the data myself and use a
comparative concept to do that, but it is glaringly obvious how much
terminology differs from author to author-- whether it is slightly (or
very) different usage of the same term(s), or referring to similar
phenomena with different terms. So it is a personal frustration just how
little consistency there is in the field.

I'm unsure about prescribing any standard usage though, partly because I
wouldn't want to hinder others from describing things clearly or in novel
ways, and most importantly because it doesn't seem like we generally agree
about much of anything at all, so I'm not sure who'd be put in charge of
naming things, and much less who would follow those conventions. It sounds
like a great idea that wouldn't work well.

If there is a way to organize a workshop to discuss these topics, I think
that could be helpful, but I think it would be important to attempt to
reach some sort of consensus rather than just sharing very different
views-- without the right design for the workshop, I imagine it would just
become the latter. And until there is some way to imagine what that
consensus could be (including how to agree to disagree), I'm not sure
whether the workshop could still be productive.

The only thing I am sure about is that everyone should be very clear about
the definitions they are using when they use them. Either cite another
work, or propose your own definition, but make it explicit. Even that very
basic step is often lacking (admittedly partly because we are often
referring to older sources for comparative work).

Just to supply this conversation with a particular example for discussion,
here is a paragraph from a draft paper of mine about Associated Motion (AM)
and Directional (DIR) morphology on the verb:

"Descriptive linguistics has recognized motion-related morphemes for a long
time, albeit through the lenses of a wide array of often confusing and even
contradictory terminology that may, in part, explain why a broad
cross-linguistic typology has not yet been established. Browsing through
descriptive grammars and other publications, the range of terminology used
by different linguists to describe AM would be impressive if it were not
for the inconsistency and missed opportunity for insights from comparative
work. Trends mostly fall into regional traditions but may be inconsistent
even there. Most problematically, terminology for AM and DIR is rarely
distinguished, the same terms often being used for both, or one term
ambiguously used to describe a particular instance in a language that might
be either. In some cases, AM morphemes have been thrown into the grab bag
of *aspect* (e.g., Talmy 1985) or other existing categories, but much of
the time terms that might more appropriately be used for DIR, including
*directionals*, have been used for AM. In Africa, the terms *itive*/
*andative* (‘going’ from Latin roots) and *ventive*/*venitive* (‘coming’)
have gained some traditional status (Bourdin 2005), alongside *centrifugal*
(‘outward’) and *centripetal* (‘inward’) especially for Chadic languages
(Frajzyngier 1987). In North America, the terms *translocative* (‘away’)
and *cislocative* (‘toward’) are in relatively common usage (Mithun 1999).
These pairs all have the same significance, just representing different
descriptive traditions. Indeed, directionally-oriented verb markers often
come in pairs contrasting away vs. toward, with that contrast often
emphasized over their shared function of marking AM and/or DIR. Elsewhere
the terms from one of those descriptive traditions may be adopted by
individual researchers, as well as idiosyncratic terms."
Notice that these terms are often used without a clear definition, as shown
by the fact that they often are not specified as to describing AM or DIR or
both, so even setting aside the terminological variation, as a reader of
the descriptions I'm sometimes left without enough information to
understand what is going on empirically.
(Note: AM adds a motion (sub)event to a non-motion verb, e.g., "*go and*
do", whereas DIR specifies the path of a lexical motion verb, e.g. "run
*away*".)

The important point is that these terms have the same (sometimes vague)
range of interpretations, so there is no empirical or definitional issue
regarding their usage. (In some specific instances there may be a narrower
usage where some might consider one term better than another, but not
across the full range of usage for any of them.) So this is a relatively
extreme but also easy-to-solve example, if of course we could all agree on
a single set of terms.

Philosophically, I have to say that it is somewhat disturbing just how
little we are confident and consistent about in linguistic description (not
to mention explanation). If we want to be taken seriously as a science,
then I think this is as important an area as any for us to work on. Imagine
if, for example, physics, were as terminologically inconsistent as
linguistics. Recent discussions on this list, for example have shown that
typologists approach languages with wildly different assumptions (and
sometimes different goals), and that is partly why there is so much
variation in terminology. But I hope that, one way or another, some of this
gets sorted out in the future. There are also some theoretical issues that
necessarily get bundled up with some of these terminological issues, so one
suggestion I would have for investigation on the topic would be to
determine the range of topics that are NOT (especially) controversial and
might work as a common ground for building terminology and other standards
in the field. What topics, if any, do 90% of typologists or linguists in
general agree about (and why)? I'd genuinely be fascinated to read the
results of that study. If there is no consensus (or cannot be) then what
does that say about the field?

Daniel