[Lingtyp] Does bipolar polysemy exist?

Stela Manova stela.manova at univie.ac.at
Fri Jun 1 08:57:41 UTC 2018

Dear Randy,

What I wrote does not have anything to do with structuralism but is based on recent research in language understanding on which we rely every day. I mean research carried out by Google. Intriguingly, people who do NLP and LU at Google are not linguists but computer scientists and the senior fellow of the Google Brain Team, Jeff Dean, claims that language understanding does not need grammar, see his slides on Scaling language understanding models at https://blog.ycombinator.com/jeff-deans-lecture-for-yc-ai/ <https://blog.ycombinator.com/jeff-deans-lecture-for-yc-ai/>, starts at 24:54 in the video, as well as the slides on Google Translate - 27:52 in the video (the slides are below the video), but please watch the whole video if you have time. This is one of Jeff Dean’s many talks on Deep Learning, I give this link because I have it in my computer but you can google the topic and the speaker. So, Google’s LU does not use grammar but is based on combinations / sequences of elements and statistics; and ironically, linguists who believe in grammar and irony (based on your message below) use Google products every day. The wisdom from the Google sequence-to-sequence model is that single examples do not count as evidence for the organization of a system. Reread now our discussion on what is bipolar polysemy and you will understand, why so many linguistics professors from so many different countries cannot agree on a definition.

It is not about bipolar polysemy, it is about the future of the field. Google guys claim and prove that the same learning logic applies to all areas of life; roughly, the same rules operate in visual perception, chemistry, language, etc. Linguists believe that linguistics is a module of its own in the brain and love re-defining things as something specific for the field - there is even statistics for linguists which unfortunately differs from Google statistics because people who do statistics in Google are mathematicians while (most of the) linguistic statisticians were bad at math at school and therefore studied languages at the university, etc.

I have a PhD in general linguistics from the University of Vienna (and my both PhD supervisors were very bad at math) but I cannot agree that this is sufficient evidence that the tip of my nose is the end of the horizon. OK, I was also educated in math nine years - intensively.

Best,

Stela