[Lingtyp] Does bipolar polysemy exist?

Volker Gast volker.gast at uni-jena.de
Sun Jun 3 14:37:44 UTC 2018

Dear all,
one thing that the numerous (rather interesting!) examples contributed to
this discussion have shown, I think, is that it makes sense to distinguish
between various levels of meaning, minimally word meaning, sentence
meaning and utterance meaning, as is standardly done in
semantics/pragmatics. (More differentiations are of course possible; for
instance, S. Levinson makes an additional distinction between
utterance-token and utterance-type meaning, and others distinguish between
speaker meaning and hearer meaning.) Moreover, we should (minimally)
distinguish between propositional meaning and social meaning (a
distinction also standardly made, e.g. by Lyons, if I remember correctly).

The example of 'inflammable' seems to be a nice illustration of how a
self-contradictory (propositional) word meaning can emerge through
reanalysis, though I wonder if this type of 'polysemy' holds for
individual speakers, or if each speaker has her own version of
'inflammable' (which would make it a matter of inter-speaker variation).
As for 'sanction' and 'let', they seem to belong to specific registers. As
various contributions to this discusion have shown, it is not uncommon for
words to change into their opposite meanings as a result of language
change, and meaning variation across registers is also a well known
phenomenon (often related to diachronic change).

Most of the other examples, it seems to me, pertain to the domain of
sentence meaning (especially the ones related to polarity, e.g.
'personne') or utterance meaning. At the level of utterance meaning,
ambiguity can in fact be useful from a communicative point of view, e.g.
if speakers wish to avoid committing themselves to a specific stance for
reasons of politeness (cf. Ital. 'assolutamente'; I witnessed a similar
example yesterday; a friend, when offered more wine, replied [in Czech]
'thank you'; the host hesitated for a second and then inquired a second
time; it turned out the guest didn't want any more wine).

I would still maintain that linguistic elements with potentially
complementary interpretations, in a given context, are highly unlikely at
the word level, with propositional content. They are certainly more likely
at the utterance level, with social meaning (e.g. 'thank you' as a trigger
of an implicature). Ambiguities at the sentence level are a well-known
problem of semantics, and I would assume that speakers normally have one
specific interpretation in mind. Hearers might of course misinterpret the
sentences in question, or be unable to disambiguate, but that would not be
a matter of polysemy.

As for Randy's pragmatics-only point of view, it is of course rather
widespread, e.g. among usage-based linguists. I don't have any strong
views about the semantics/pragmatics divide; but again, I believe that any
attempt at generalization (and in fact linguistic description) requires
abstracting away from some feature(s) of an utterance token. I've recently
done some work in lexical typology (with M. Koptjevskaja Tamm) and the
very fact that some non-trivial generalizations can be made in this domain
seems to show that investigating propositional meanings
(crosslinguistically, at the word level) is not a waste of time (though it
comes with difficulties of various types that have to be taken seriously).

Best,
Volker

Prof. V. Gast
http://www.uni-jena.de/~mu65qev