[Lingtyp] Typological works on echoes

TasakuTsunoda tasakutsunoda at nifty.com
Sun Jun 17 12:58:44 UTC 2018

Dear Ian,

(i) In the Warrongo running texts of 6 hours 40 minutes, I have found only two sets of examples involving the imperative. So, this phenomenon seems to be not common in Warrongo.

(ii) Warrongo has two suffixes for the imperative:

-Ø (zero), mainly used for transitive verbs.

-yal, mainly used for intransitive verbs.

There are a few verbs that may take either suffix.

(iii) A Japanese equivalent may be something like the following.

Watashi=ga  ik-e.

I=NOM        go-IMP

I do not remember hearing such a sentence, but I think it can be used, and that it can mean ‘Do you mean to say that I should go?’ This is similar to the (b) reading below.

Best wishes,

Tasaku Tsunoda

送信元: Joo Ian <ian.joo at outlook.com>